Position: Network Engineer
Location: Findlay, OH 45840
Travel Required: need to be available for up to 50% travel (reimbursed)
The candidate responsibilities include planning and designing the Company’s network infrastructure and enterprise network solutions; troubleshooting, installing, implementing and administering network systems and providing Tier III operational support. Cisco routing and switching experience is required in LAN and WAN technologies associated with wired networks, wireless networks, data center networks, hardware, and software. The candidate is part of an enterprise network team that works collaboratively with other IT infrastructure, IT application, and end-user teams and representatives.
Role Specific Responsibilities
- Provide wired and wireless network Subject Matter Expertise for Company and Company’s managed service providers.
- Provide consultation and recommendations on architecture, design, project work scope development, and project implementation areas for Company.
- Provide technical project oversight to infrastructure initiatives and participate in projects.
- Contribute to the development, documentation, and communication of a long-term strategy and roadmaps for the Company’s network infrastructure and the short-term steps to achieve that vision.
- Understand the Company’s business and the impact of that business on the architecture, design and operation of the company’s network.
- Analyze a business problem into its component parts and determine how each part interacts with or impacts the other parts.
- Identify conflicts between network infrastructure requirements that support business processes.
- Collaborate, direct, and implement network infrastructure technology and changes.
- Respond to requests with reasonable rough estimates of impact, time, feasibility, and practicality.
- Align requests with business goals, Standards, Best Practices, enterprise guidelines and local site needs.
- Install, configure, operate, and troubleshoot Company’s routing and switching network infrastructure.
- Provide Tier 3 operational support, maintenance, and troubleshooting of Company’s Cisco LAN, WAN, Data Center, and Wireless LAN network environments.
- Assist Company’s Network Team and managed services providers with certain operational support tasks requiring on-site presence at Company’s corporate headquarters, data center, and field sites.
- Provide Company’s Network Delivery Coordinator with information needed to maintain Company’s managed service provider Support Model, service level agreements, service level objectives, performance reports and operational metrics.
- Maintain appropriate relationships with Company representatives, Company’s managed service providers and Company’s 3rd party vendors and evaluate vendor hardware, software, and communications products in order to provide recommendations for purchases with corporate objectives in mind
- Provide operational support and knowledge transfer to tier I & II support teams.
- Attend and participate in meetings as needed.
- Support identification, collection, and documentation of metrics and performance reporting processes.
- Attend staff meetings, provide weekly activity updates and progress reporting
Business Partnership & People Management
- Maintain contact with business users to proactively identify and communicate changes and solutions
- Establish working relationships with technical, business and sourcing counterparts
- Participate in process improvement initiatives
- Manage individual workload and meet agreed upon milestones
- Demonstrate ability to work collaboratively in team environment and help resolve issues
- Provide input to project plans and help identify key skillsets
- The position requires working from the Company’s Findlay, OH headquarters; some travel is required.
- The candidate may need to assist in urgent issues after normal working hours, weekends, and holidays.
- The candidate participates in an on-call rotation with Company’s Network Team.
- Cisco network routing and switching certification or equivalent working experience; 5 or more years of relevant work experience
- Experience with data network management, operational reporting, performance reporting, capacity reporting, network metrics, and ticketing systems
- Technical experience relevant to:
- Cisco network hardware operating systems and configurations
- Cisco LAN and WAN internetworking including routing, switching, sub-netting, Quality of Service, VLANs, VRFs, OSPF, BGP, MPLS, TACACS
- Cisco Nexus 7000, 5000, and 2000 data center hardware and software
- Cisco Prime network management system
- Cisco Wireless LANs, wireless bridges, access points, wireless LAN controllers
- Working knowledge of Voice over IP, DNS, firewalls, intrusion detection, Virtual Private Network (VPN), network security, VMware, WAN Optimization, Load Balancers, and Microsoft Active Directory
- Designing, planning and deployment of Enterprise and site specific network projects
- Telecommunication Carrier vendor support and escalation
- Network architecture, design, and operational support
- Must demonstrate strong analytical and critical decision making skills
- Excellent problem solving / analytical skills and knowledge of analytical tools
- Strong verbal and written communication skills required. Ability to effectively communicate with all levels of personnel (Internal and External)